Sunday, July 24, 2011

Beaches Jazz Festival

I went to the Toronto Beaches International Jazz Festival yesterday with my buddy Paul De Silva. The event, now in its 23rd year, was always a highlight of the summer when I lived in the Beaches. It still draws big names on the Canadian music scene to perform at a small venue, and huge crowds to the local streets and parks.
Sitting on the lawns of Kew Gardens, we listened to Amy Sky and her husband Marc Jordan perform some of their classic hits such as Marina Del Ray and Rythmn Of My Heart (Marc Jordan); Love Pain and the Whole Damn Thing and I Will Take Care of You (Amy Sky).

Though it was getting hot sitting under a tree, we stayed put for another set with Pavlo, a guitar virtuoso, who grew up on the Danforth, a neighbourhood just north of the Beaches. His Greek-influenced rhythms had me up on my feet and dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment