Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Federal Election

Frank & Catherine
It was a disappointing federal election yesterday if you were a Liberal Party supporter. After many hours of door-to-door canvasing and putting signs on front lawns, I was asked to be a scrutineer at a polling station on election day. It proved to be a long and tedious job sitting in a school gym as the voters trickled in and voted. There was a flurry of phone calls to be made before the polls closed to get the Liberal voters out who hadn't voted yet. Then I had to watch as the ballots were meticulously counted, looking for any questionable ones. It was disheartening to see Frank Valeriote come up short to the Conservative candidate at my polling station. I drove over to Frank's house knowing that he'd be watching the results come in with his family around him. To my great delight, the polling station I was assigned to was an anomaly: Frank had won the Guelph election by a healthy margin! So we all headed off to the ICC to celebrate with the hundreds of supporters gathered there. Congratulations Frank!

No comments:

Post a Comment