Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cormorants



Yesterday, I noticed double-crested cormorants perched in a tree beside the QEW highway on Hamilton Bay.

I pulled over onto the service road, parked the car and grabbed my camera.

There were hundreds of them! They looked like they were nesting in many rather dead-looking trees. I managed to get close enough for a few portraits without disturbing them.





Living near Lake Ontario, I often see cormorants - usually flying fast and low in single file - as if they had a destination in mind.

They are large diving seabirds that have to dry their wings by holding them open, as they don't have oil to make their feathers water-repellant.


The males and females grow the double crest feathers on their head during mating season.

With their green eyes and orange neck skin, they are impressive indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment