Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Day in Montreal

I drove to Montreal yesterday to deliver George Hunter's exhibition prints to a gallery on Sherbrooke Street, and to see my son Trevor. George's exhibit, THE EVERYDAY LIFE OF THE INUIT IN 1946, starts Feb. 16th and runs to March 17th. Do check it out if you can.



This morning I took a stroll down Sherbrooke, past all the eye-catching art galleries, to have lunch with my cousin Robin and his lady Terry.

They share a beautiful apartment in the 'Chateau' (photo below) next door to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts.
3D Xview: scuplture with the Chateau behind


After lunch my son Trevor and I took a hike up Mount Royal through the quiet winter woods.

There's some snow in Montreal - more than Oakville, which has none. But it's nothing compared to the deep snow that Montrealers are used to struggling with at this time of year. Global warming.
Trevor with his well-used telescope







Trevor pulled out his telescope and pointed it at Venus and Jupiter which were bright in the clear sky above his balcony.

Jupiter was accompanied by its four moons - Ganymeade, Callisto, Io and Europa  - looking like tiny pin-pricks of light - all lined up in a row.

Venus looked oddly shaped. Not quite round. Trevor, the family astronomer, explained that Venus goes through phases, just like the moon. I did not know that!

No comments:

Post a Comment