Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Carden Alvar

I got up early (4 am!) and drove to the Carden Alvar, a natural grassland east of Lake Simcoe.  I had planned to meet up with a birding party from Guelph but our paths never crossed. So I spent the day enjoying the beautiful landscape, full of Prairie Smoke wildflowers, and looking for interesting birds such as the Kingbird, the Bobolink and the Savannah Sparrow... a new bird for me.
Eastern Kingbird
 
Prairie Smoke
In the afternoon I visited an old friend Ari Giverts who lives nearby and took him for a drive through the alvar. An alvar is a special type of prairie grassland, with thin soils on a limestone bedrock, and is quite rare in the world. A 3-D cross-view image of particularly lovely meadow on Alvar Road is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment